Portland Chinese School Non-Advanced-Placement (AP) Teachers Qualification
- A. Requirements
- A baccalaureate degree from an institution accredited by a regional accrediting association is required.
- High school level graduation or certificate in a country where Mandarin Chinese is spoken and traditional Chinese characters are the main instructional language.
- Native written and oral fluency in Mandarin Chinese.
- Proficient in reading and writing traditional Chinese characters and zhuyin.
- Proficient in reading and writing pinyin or willing to learn.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Familiar with Chinese culture.
- Comfortable with using technology in the classroom.
- Legal status to work in the United States.
- Pass a criminal background check.
- B. Other Desired Qualities
- A strong passion for teaching Chinese language and culture.
- Highly compassionate and energetic approach to teaching.
- Familiar with the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) National Standards for Foreign Language Education (the 5 Cs).
- Commitment to using the ACTFL’s 5 Cs to guide planning and teaching.
- C. Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach Chinese language and culture.
- Prepare appropriate materials prior to each class and review and correct student’s tests and other assignments.
- Effectively manage classroom teaching and learning time.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with students, parents, the principal, and staff.
- Attend and participate all required school meetings.
- Promote the interests of the school and perform other duties as assigned.
Portland Chinese School New Teacher Hiring Processes:
- All qualified applicants will fill out an employment application and submit with a resume and copy of diploma.
- Applicant will sign and give consent for a criminal background check.
- The Administrators will review all applications meeting minimal qualification.
- The Administrators will invite qualified applicants for an interview.
- Applicants that best meet the teaching requirements will be recommended for employment to fill open teaching positions.
- Once a job offer is extended and accepted by the candidate, PCS teacher manual, teacher guideline and orientation will be given.
- Employed teachers will be provided with a one-year contract, ending June of each academic year.
- PCS is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We believe in treating each employee and applicant for employment fairly and with dignity. We base our employment decisions on merit, experience, and potential, without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state or local law.
For further information or to apply for a teaching position, please contact our